Friday, July 8, 2011

Millennium Series by Steig Larsson

Whenever, I come to post on my blog, I always think I should have some kind of a topic in mind. But as you have noticed, I never do. :) Which is why my blog mostly comprises of whining and swooning. Yeah... The Waaahhhhs and the ooohhhhs. So, this is my first attempt of not going along with the flow, but actually thinking of a topic and writing about it. After all, my blog is supposed to be, and I quote myself, "A systematic record of the chaos inside my head". So here goes nothing:



Well, I have been reading the Millennium series (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl who Played with Fire, The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest) by Steig Larsson. I am onto the last and final part of the trilogy. And so far, the books have been way better than awesome. I don't remember the last time I gobbled up a book so fast. I usually take quite some time to read a book, mostly because, I am not one of those continuous readers and partly because I think I suffer from some sort of attention deficiency. But these three books... Well, I just can't stop reading them. I have to read them wherever and whenever I am free. I mean the flow of the books is so good that I just can't keep myself from reading it. I carry it to the bathroom, I read in the car, I read till 1 at night (and I NEVER ever stay up till 1 at night...). So, I'm pretty sure, you get the basic idea that I really like these books. The books are SO DAMN ADDICTIVE!
The books are not for the faint hearted. It has violence, crimes against women, etc etc. But you can take all that and still want to continue with the book and not put it down.
I've also downloaded the movies. Shall watch them after I finish with the books.
Anyway, the main reason for this blog post is to talk about my absolute and complete admiration and respect for Froken Lisbeth Salander. I don't know if Mikael Blomkvist was supposed to be the hero and all according to Steig Larsson (Apparently the character is autobiographical), but she's my hero. I could possibly imagine having a crush on Blomkvist ( I mean I did have a crush on Riyu from Detective School Q when I was a kid, so having crushes on fictional characters is pretty normal for me), but I cannot think beyond Salander while reading the books. She is awesome! In fact she is beyond awesome. Salandar or Wasp (as she prefers to be known on the net and in the kick boxing arena) is an amazing hacker (probably the best... I mean she can get into any system, any computer anywhere), has amazing survival skills, eluded the police sitting right under their noses, is a kick boxer. And killed Zalachenko, the man who didn't exist. Yeah... She's pretty amazing. I just wish she was real. Then I would definitely buy a airticket to go meet her. God bless Larsson's soul for creating her. And yeah... I know... I am talking about a fictional character. But, that doesn't take anything away from the fact that Salandar is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This was supposed to be a 10 part series. Sadly all we are left with is a trilogy. So little of Salander. Quite sad.
Anyway, for those of you'll who haven't read this book, you HAVE to. One of the best read I've had till date. Plus with the rainy Bombay weather and a cup of hot tea, I am having an absolutely fabulous time with the book. What more does a girl need?
Off to get some more of Salander till it all comes to an end.
xoxo
The Rambler

No comments: